Meet The Team: Lisa Conner
Name: Lisa Conner
Title: Assistant Manager of Caroline’s Restaurant
Hometown: Dubuque, IA
1. How long have you been with Hotel Julien Dubuque?
About two and a half years. I started in September of 2016.
2. What path brought you to Hotel Julien Dubuque? Please share a little bit about your professional background and what led you to this industry.
I have been in the restaurant business for most of my adult life, starting at Olive Garden in 2002, as a server. While I was at Olive Garden, I served and later became a bartender and then a certified trainer for servers as well as bartenders and service professional. I wanted more professionally and unfortunately, wasn’t able to achieve that with Olive Garden. I saw a job posting for a Supervisor position with Caroline’s and immediately applied! Since then, I have been a server, lead server, supervisor and now the Assistant Manager.
3. What are you most passionate about professionally?
I really enjoy the service industry, whether it’s talking to guests, helping servers and hosts to make sure they’re giving great service, or running the restaurant in the most efficient way possible. I like knowing what’s going on at all times and I get very excited about checklists and cleaning parties, as the team will tell you!
4. What are you passionate about personally? What is your favorite way to spend a free weekend?
I have a son named Mak who just turned one, and he is my favorite thing about life. I don’t get too many weekends off in this industry, but when I do have time off, I am always spending it with him and my boyfriend. When I have the time, I get into projects such as refinishing old furniture.
5. What are some of your favorite things to do in the Dubuque area?
I like to be outside, especially during the summer. I enjoy outdoor concerts and festivals downtown. If I get the chance, I like to be on the river, canoeing and camping.
6. What do you love most about Hotel Julien Dubuque?
I love the history of the hotel and the elegance. It’s always beautiful, especially at Christmas time!
7. What is your personal motto?
The road to success is always under construction!
8. Describe your typical work day.
I spend most of my day helping servers by running hot food out to their tables, answering questions and chatting with their guests. I am always a helping hand for them. I also do the scheduling and have some administrative duties in the office after the breakfast and lunch rushes.
9. Please share a go-to fun-fact about yourself.
Organizing things either at home or at work really gets my blood pumping, I don’t know why, but it makes me really happy!