Meet The Team: Michael Henson
Name: Michael Henson
Title: Executive Chef
Hometown: Miamisburg, Ohio
1. How long have you been with Hotel Julien Dubuque?
A little over a month!
2. What path brought you to Hotel Julien Dubuque? Please share a little bit about your professional background and what led you to this industry.
I have been in the hospitality industry since the age of 13. I started as a dishwasher and then worked my way through the ranks to start managing kitchens at the age of 18. I have worked in a plethora of restaurants from QSR to fine dining. Most recently I was the Executive Chef at Inspired Madness Inc., an amazing restaurant group in Bozeman, MT.
3. What are you most passionate about professionally?
I am passionate about from-scratch-cooking with a focus in locally sourced ingredients.
4. What are you passionate about personally? What is your favorite way to spend a free weekend?
Spending time outdoors in nature. I love to hike, camp, backpack, hunt, canoe, swim, and just about anything that endures enjoy our beautiful forests, rivers, and lakes.
5. What are some of your favorite things to do in the Dubuque area?
I enjoy hiking in the Mines of Spain and swimming with our pops in the Mighty Mississippi.
6. What do you love most about Hotel Julien Dubuque?
What I love the most about Hotel Julien is the staff, the history, and the potential to grow professionally here.
7. What is your personal motto?
Word hard, play hard.
8. Describe your typical work day.
Just leading the amazing culinary team to create amazing food!
9. What is your favorite entree we serve at Caroline’s Restaurant and why you like it?
Pork tenderloin because it has a complexity of flavors on a very well balanced plate.
10. Please share a go-to fun-fact about yourself.
I’m the oldest of 5 kids.
11. Is there anything else that you’d like to share?
I love food!