Meet The Team: Robert Cousins
Name: Robert Cousins
Title: Lead Bartender, Riverboat Lounge
Hometown: Dubuque, IA
1. How long have you been with Hotel Julien Dubuque?
I have been at Hotel Julien Dubuque/Riverboat Lounge for the past five months.
2. What path brought you to Hotel Julien Dubuque? Please share a little bit about your professional background and what led you to this industry?
I recently moved back to the area after living on the East Coast for a number of years. I have always been involved in some aspect of “people business”; whether it’s been DJing, bartending, serving or management.
3. What are you most passionate about professionally?
I enjoy making a personal connection. Whether a guest is local or visiting, I try to make Riverboat Lounge their home away from home or a “Cheers” if you will. A lot of the bar business has become about only selling drinks. I believe a name, handshake and “How’s your day” are just as important.
4. What are you passionate about personally? What is your favorite way to spend a free weekend?
What is a free weekend? LOL! I enjoy spending time with my family and friends in my free time. I like to “reset” with short, two day getaways when I get the chance as well. I’m also a sports fan. This summer I plan to visit five to six different ballparks.
5. What are some of your favorite things to do in the Dubuque area?
I have only been back in Dubuque for less than a year, so I am still rediscovering the area.
6. What do you love most about Hotel Julien Dubuque?
I’m not a big fan of things that are cookie cutter and Hotel Julien Dubuque is anything but that! This is a unique hotel with a ton of charm and history. Its uniqueness is what attracts guest from all over the world and all walks of life. Plus, I get to meet them!
7. What is your personal motto?
“Learn something new every day.”
8. Describe your typical workday.
I spend most of my day mixing up fresh cocktails while meeting entertaining people.
9. Please share a go-to fun-fact about yourself.
I have never been out of the country, but Brazil is on my bucket list.